Yeah , this is one more of those “Maa ke hath ka khana” vali recipe :P One more hand written recipes notes jotted down while Mom on other side on Phone, One the upper side of page is – Chanyachi Dal and second part if os Solkadi :D
In Marathi - Chanyachi Dal – Its a simple Chana Dal with Coconut ground garam masala gravy. I normally prefer Dals with some ground masala, they taste elegant and royal in their own sense. This is one of those recipes which sounds simple but has some ground work, but the end result is profoundly the best.
- Bengal Gram – chana Dal: One Measure
- Water to cook the dal: 2 ½ Measure
- Asafetida: Pinch for tempering
- Curry Leaves: 2-3 for tempering
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery + Tamarind Pulp: 2-3 tbsp
- Oil: Tempering base
- Salt to taste
Grind to Paste:
- Grated coconut: less than 1/4 of whole
- Cumin Seeds: 1tbsp
- Coriander seeds: 2-3 tsp
- Cloves: 1-2
- Cinnamon stick: for taste
- Red Chilies: 5-6 in numbers
- Soak the Chana Dal for half an hour to two hours at stretch.
- Cook the Dal in Pressure Cooker with the mentioned measure of water for about 3-4 whistles.
- By the time the Dal is cooked, you can make the required ground paste of masala.
- Roast the ingredients mentioned under Grind to paste. After roasting for 2 to 4 mins, grind the ingredients to powder.
- Mix the tamarind and jaggery pulp and again grind to make a fine paste.
- Once the chana Dal is cooked, remove from Pressure cooker when it cools off, smash the dal a bit.
- Heat Oil in Kadai,Mix the tempering stuffs.
- Pour the cooked Dal in Kadai, add turmeric powder and salt.
- Later mix the ground paste.
- Mix appropriately, let is simmer with cover.
- When done, garnish with coriander leaves.
We had it as side dish with rice, with Okra fry and pickle.
Sending across to Bean & legume recipes you can count on
Editing to add Reposts:
Sending my following Two Chutneys recipes to Spicy Fiery Chutney's event!