Atte ka Halwa – Wheat Flour Halwa
During My First Week @ The Foodie’s hometown, I was told about this tradition where the New Bahu prepares Halwa for family members. I was like “Okiess Cool !!” - But I knew two types of Halwa:
- One – Halwa = Black Pompfret Fish (in marathi)
- Two – Sweet Halwa = Gajar cha or Dudhi cha Halwa or for that matter rava/sooji halwa.
Obviously being Marwadi Bahu the first option was bowled out ! So I concluded it must be sweet halwa. And I was so
not sure confident of my cooking skills that even if I tried to prepare sweet halwa I just hoped it doesn’t turn out looking like my dear fish Halwa. :-SS
Now I am a PRO to prepare it :D .. It doesn’t require many ingredients neither it takes much time to prepare this – I took about 10 mins. MIL had mentioned that this is one of the easiest sweet dish which can be prepared on adhoc basis for any guests. The Foodie says this is one of the heavy breakfast which he used to have during whole day college. True to him , its very heavy dish as its loaded with loads n loads of Desi Ghee so obviously it has to be Tasty ! :">
Caution:If you go to gymn regularly and if you are comfortable with the biceps-triceps workout then you can prepare this dish very easily. Cos you require whole lot of strength to stir the Atta – Wheat flour. #:-S
- Wheat Flour (Atta): 1 cup
- Desi Ghee: 1/2 cup (My MIL uses 1 cup – And it really tastes WoW – but I just cant put so much of ghee , just looking at the qty increased couple of my pounds)
- Sugar: 1/4 cup
- Water: About 1 to 1 n half cup
- Dry Fruits: Almonds, Cashews, Raisins - grinded fine powder to mix
- Cardamom powder : 1/2 tsp - (As making cardamom powder is mixer is a bit difficult i mix it with some sugar and put it in Mixer/Grinder)
- Heat Ghee in Kadhai
- Within couple of minutes mix the Atta with the ghee. Stir Vigorously. Roast it appropriately till it changes it color to dark brown.
- Add Water. Stir Vigorously – once again. (– do not stop even if your hand pains ;) ) Jokes apart the stirring is quite important as if not done appropriately small lumps are created which are hard to remove later.
- Mix till Awesome Heavenly Aroma releases. Then add sugar, cardamom powder and fine powder of dry fruits. Stir Vigorously – once again. :D
- Within few minutes ghee drifts apart from the wheat soft lump. Consider it done then.
I had prepared this as one of the naivedya to Ganpati @ our place. Else I also prepare it as breakfast – prepare small qty as its really very heavy!
Atte Ka Halwa goes for :
- Shanti’s Dussehra, Dhanteras & Deepavali Event.
- As Ghee is most important ingredient sending this to Sanghi’s FIL – Ghee Sweets event.
- Also sending this to Nithya and Pavithra’s Garnish the dish event. I am total amateur in kitchen so garnishing was just using coriander leaves or some dry fruits in this case – so really tried my hand on this with some puffed lotus seeds (Makhanes – in Hindi) and dry fruits ! Hope it gives some visual pleasure ;) – Me gonna take some tutions from Nithya n Pavithra who are really good @ it :D
- This also goes to Sireesha’s two events :
- Also sending across to Priya for her Diwali 2009 event