Remember the “Gattas”, a newly prepared Marwadi ingredient in my Kitchen. Quantity of Gattas was on a higher side and could not be used in Sanjeev Kapoor’s single recipe,so I had to brush my leftover management skills and I used them in a Khichdi. ;)
I normally cook khichdi when I have nothing in my pantry or when I’m bored to cut and cook anything special, and both of these reasons occur
quite very regularly :-/ So I’m used to prepare number of variations of Khichdi, just by adding different ingredients every time.
I prepared a dry version of this dish by :
- Just soak about 1/4 cup of each - rice and split green Mung Dal in water for about half an hour, then drain out the water.
- Either in a pressure cooker or simple vessel which can be covered quite well, heat up 1 ladle full of Ghee and temper with Cumin and Mustard Seeds.
- Add Asafoetida and 10-15 big curry leaves to the temper.
- Follow with coarsely chopped 1 medium onion.
- Add rice and mung dal followed by 1 inch pieces of gattas, then turmeric and red chilli powder.Sauté for couple of minutes.
- Add 4 1/2 cup of boiling water to this, mix 1/4 piece lemon juice , salt and sugar.
Gatta Khichdi will be cooked in say Twenty minutes, garnish with fistful of coriander leaves. Serve with Curd, Papad and Pickle.
The Gattas went very well with the Rice and Lentils.
Happy Cooking and Posting about it. :)