Few years back, for me Poha (Flattened Rice) was the typical Maharashtrian breakfast or evening snack. In arranged marriages, the session where a boy and girl meet for the first time is called – “Kanda Pohe”. Such is its traditional symbol in this part of the country.
But I had no idea, that this same breakfast is synonymous with one more state – MP , to be precise Indore. Infact For me, Pohe is synonymous with The Foodie. He hearts to cook this with variations, and can have this on daily basis.
Though most of us know this recipe, I wanted this to go on my space as this is one of our regular basis breakfast. Very Simple to prepare, quite healthy and totally filling to start your day.
- Thick Pohe : 2-3 cups <there is also thin pohe which are used to cook Chivda>
- Onion : 1 Medium – coarsely chopped
- Potato : 1 small – cut into small cubes (optional)
- Green chillies – 3-4 – coarsely chopped
- Curry Leaves – 3-4 (optional)
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tbsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Lemon – Half Piece
- Coriander leaves – handful – finely chopped
- Peanuts – 3-4tbsp (optional)
- Scrapped coconut – for garnishing (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Take the Pohe in colander, and pour water over to moisten it.
- Heat Oil in Kadai, Add cumin and mustard seeds. Follow with chillies and curry leaves.
- Once spluttering is done, add onion. Follow with potatoes, once the mix turns translucent add Moist Pohe.
- Add turmeric, salt and sugar, stir well. Follow with peanuts.
- Squeeze lemon juice. Garnish with coriander leaves and scraped coconut and serve hot.
Just 5 steps and you can break your night fast with the first meal of the day – Breakfast :D
This goes to Dish Name Starts with K event.