Translates to “Eat Tilgul…talk sweet”, Maharashtrians celebrate Makar Sankrant by greeting families, friends with this tagline. And we prepare this sweet ladoos on this occasion, made of sesame seeds and jaggery. It was once again one of my first attempts at trying out this alone, it went fine with nearly 50 Ladoos.
They might not have come out perfect – but I was proud of them :)
- Sesame Seeds – 1/4kg esp. for Ladoos ask for – Polished Til
- Jaggery – 1/4 kg esp. for Ladoos ask for – Chikkicha Gul
- Roasted Chana Dal – 2-3 tbsp
- Crushed Peanuts – 3-5 tbsp
- Ghee – 2-3 tbsp
- Roast the Til on a Hot Wok, they turn light golden and fluff a bit.
- Add Ghee in Non-stick Wok, follow with Jaggery.
- Melt the jaggery to dark Red colour, turns to thick liquid consistency.
- Add Til, Crushed Peanuts and Chana Dal to this. Mix immediately so that all seeds are covered with jaggery.
- Cover and switch of the flame in 1 min.
- Remove from stove and when still warm start rolling the thick mix to small balls.
Quite simple and very good for this Cold Weather. Distribute among your friends, neighbours and colleagues with the First Line greeting :)