Homemade adj. means Made or prepared in the home OR Made by oneself OR Crudely or simply made.
Long long time back this word might not have existed as mostly everything was homemade :P But today we do say – this cake is homemade or homemade ginger-garlic paste. Even I thought of trying my hand on something homemade – Paneer.
Till the time you try something at home you have no idea how simple it is! And it does give soothing satisfaction that you prepared something that you normally spend an hefty amount on.
Homemade Paneer – Cottage Cheese
- Milk: 2 litres
- Lemon juice \Vinegar: about 10 tbsp (I used both)
- Boil Milk in a huge base yok, stir in between so that milk doesn’t stick to the base.
- As the milk starts to boil add Lemon juice slowly while stirring.
- This separates the curd from the whey (the remain milk is called so .. learnt from wiki)
- Drain out the whey with help of clean muslin cloth, press out the excess water. (This drained whey can be used for kneading wheat flour\rice\noodles – I added to prepare noodles)
- Keep this drained curd with the cloth under a heavy stone for about one hour.
- Then refrigerated this paneer immediately.
We normally have this extra couple of litres of milk on weekly basis. Most of the time we indulge in extra curd\buttermilk or some sweet dish like basundi\rabdi. But after today’s trial I feel I can use up this for Paneer, which later can be used up for some special delicacy :)
How do you use up your extra milk ??