Falafel – Indianized version of the crispy balls
Fal-a-Fel = Fruit-A-Fruit... literal translation in Hindi, was a flying joke while our group of friends had these fried balls at one of the NYC stalls. We seriously thought that some kind of fruit went into these and we loved them then 8-| ; till I got familiar with the Food Blog World I was quite unknown to the fact that these are simple fritters made of Chickpeas. I tried it over the weekend, it turned out very well, we loved this Mediterranean yet Indianized version of crispy balls.
You Need :
- Chickpeas\chana: Soaked Overnight
- Onion: 1 medium
- Coriander Leaves: fistful
- Ginger-Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
- Green Chillies: 2 minced
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Black Pepper: 1 tsp - crushed
- Fennel or Carom Seeds: 1 tsp
- Chickpeas flour: about 3 tbsp
- Oil for Deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Mix everything in BLUE, in food processor and make rough thick paste.
- Mix Salt, then add Chickpeas flour to thicken it.
- Heat Oil for deep frying in an open pan, make small balls of the thick batter and fry them till light brown.
Done!! This is normally served with Tahini or Hummus (I got to know this too from Food Blog World), I feel the Mayonnaise also falls in the same league we had it with Mayo and Spicy Sauce. Trust me these balls are very heavy, so don’t be “Bhukkad” gluttonous like me and limit them to 4-5 in one serving :P (we had this chana bloated tummy for long time @-) )
I tumbled upon a very nice blog – Mharo Rajasthan Recipes couple of weeks back and already I’ve bookmarked nearly dozen of her drooling recipes. I found this blog quite distinguishing with very diverse types of collection of recipes, especially the Rajasthani ones which are truly quite hard to find.
I had brought Raw Mango to prepare long time due – Uditmethi but the snap of – Kairi Ki Launji, made me change the mind. I was introduced to the “Kalonji Seeds” for the first time here we had this sour and spicy side dish as a chutney-pickle. We loved it – Thanks Priya !!
Happy Cooking and Posting about it !