Chilly Paneer with Vegan Chinese Pickle

I Utterly Love Chinese overmuch too much, how much ??? Read on…Once upon a time when.. Me and The Foodie were passing by typical Maharashtrian Marathi Khanaval (Dhabba – Highway side restaurants serving predominantly Thalis), following conversation followed between ME and The Foodie,

HE (who loves veg thalis): Cool….These Maharashtrian Dhabbes must be serving authentic Marathi food, lets jump in.

ME (who avoids veg thalis): What’s so interesting in Marathi Thalis.. You’ve married a Maharashtrian we daily eat Marathi food @ home !

HE: Really ??? I have been getting a feel that I’ve married a Chinese Girl.. we must be having more of Chinese than Maharashtrian food …

ME: (!!!!) ^#(^

Accepted I love to try various Indo Chinese recipes and this is one of my oldest hobbies (First dish prepared by me must be Maggi – considering it Chinese :P).

Non-Vegan…

Being a vivid fan of Indo Chinese food and Chicken, Chilli Chicken was one of the first dishes I prepared @ home. There were times when the dish used to be disaster but I used to try it nearly alternate weekends and thanks to the practice, I soon got mastery in this dish :P

Everyone @ home are dead crazy for this dish, but The Foodie is very unlucky in this as he couldn’t try this out (Cons of being a vegetarian-can’t have the dish which his wife prepares the BEST) :-OIMG_2850

So I tried to regenerate the taste where I replaced Chicken with Cottage Cheese (our very own Paneer). Turned a perfect entry for Cardamom’s JFI- Paneer, Originally started by Indira of Mahanandi.

You Need:

  • Paneer: Enough to make about 25 pieces of nearly 1 inch ; so about 150gms
  • Capsicum: 1 in qty ; cut into pieces of size similar to paneer
  • Onion/Spring Onion : ½ qty/ 1-2  in number, Sliced
  • Cabbage: 1 cup sliced IMG_2840
  • Green chilies: 2-3 slices vertically
  • Ginger, Garlic and Green Chili paste: 1-2 tbsp
  • Chinese Sauces – Red Chilli , Soya and Vinegar – qty as per your taste
  • Oil
  • Salt to taste

You Do:

  1. MarinationIMG_2832As Non-veg dishes normally need appropriate marination, so I did the same thing with Paneer. Paneer may not soak in the marinations but the aroma sure gets in. So Mix Paneer , Ginger-garlic & green chili paste and all sauces. Keep it for half an hour or so.IMG_2833
  2. Later in a Chinese style pan , temper it with green chilies, Sauté the Onion/Spring Onion – once pinkish add other veggies and sauté –shallow fry them.IMG_2841
  3. Add the marinated Paneer and salt, Add Chinese sauces in accordance with the taste.IMG_2847
  4. Let the Paneer cook with other veggies. Toss it in between , the Chinese ishtyle ;;)IMG_2848

Serve as a Starter :)

Vegan…

About Chinese, along with trying it @ home I must have tried and tasted most of Chinese restaurants @ Mumbai then and now @ Pune. You can conclude beforehand if the ordered food will be tasty by the Chinese pickle present.

I tried my hand on it and named this experiment of mine as C Rays to Four Pickle .. confused :-S .. read on :P

You Need:

  • Vegetable suitable for pickle – I used Cucumber – Carrots & Cabbage , cut in accordance with the taste.
  • Vinegar: One measure
  • Sugar: Half measureIMG_2834
  • Sesame Oil/ Olive Oil/ Vegetable Oil
  • Green chili: as the spiciness required
  • Salt to taste

You Do:

  1. Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar, Toss the veggies, and toss them to coat them with the mixture.IMG_2835
  2. Heat the oil and let the chilies splutter. Pour this spiced oil over the veggies.
  3. Toss the mixture well and let the veggies marinate for 1 hour or so.IMG_2838
  4. This can be refrigerated and used for about 5 days.

Use it as a pickle or even a starter.  IMG_2839

Now Me sending this Chinese Cucumber Carrot Cabbage Pickle (C Rays to Four Pickle) to :

P.S.: There are few awards presented to Personal Tadka by my lovely blogger friends, it’s coming soon, so watch out for this space :D

Happy ThanksGiving ! Remembering 26/11 !!

Comments

  1. yummy..yummy...this looks so delicious..hey I agree with your conversation about whats so special...its same here...I always tend to go to Indian restaurant....pickle is great too..its good to go even in the subs/sandwiches..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool... Looks Yumm... Chinese is always welcuming..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow this time chinese dish on ur blog...my fav chilli paneer and u have made it a lot healthier without deep frying the paneer,loved it and will surely try this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a new recipe....Pickle sounds yummy and delicious.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nifty idea...Chilli paneer looks inviting..:-)And yes, maggi was the first Indochinese dish made by me too :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice pickle kanchan...I love chilli paneer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So here's another chinese fan after Sushma...loved the recipe, especially as it's not deep fried, The pickle is my favorite time pass in chinese restaurants...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me.Dish looks lovely and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pack of paneer in my fridge is now begging me to make them into "Chilli Paneer" and they are so particular, it must be made only in Kanchan's way!! ;)
    How can I refuse anything my lovely paneer demands!! Count me in, I am also a fan of Indo-chinese food!
    This pickle is absolutely new, will try that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks lovely. Since ours is also a vegetarian household ( except when the kids are at home), this will be given a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not yet still tried out Chilli paneer,mouthwatering recipe and the pickle sounds yumm too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spicy paneer.I love making Chinese food with some of my own twists.The pickle sounds refreshing :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also big Indo-Chinese fan...and my foodie doesn't like it much...I just loved this dish and specially the pickle...so new and creative...will ad tang and spice to so many dishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great recipe..and its definitely intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed ur write-up, very nice...yes I agree love indo-chinese version so much, yummm. Chili paneer is one of the best meat alternate food. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely recipe Kanchan, I loved reading this post... so funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too love Chinese food...the pickle sounds interesting....looks tasty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great combo..and it looks real yum

    ReplyDelete
  19. @SE(Denufood),
    Thanks for your suggestion, I did try it on subs with some mustard sauce, It tastes Awesome !

    @Sandhya,
    Totally Welcoming 

    @Vrinda,
    First timer here .. hope to see you often 

    @sushma,
    Yeah , totally inspired by you dear ! Will try to be regular with Chinese soon !

    @Tina,
    Thank you, do try !

    @Gulmohar,
    He he he … Maggi totally rocks !

    @Pratibha,
    @Yasmeen,
    @my kitchen,
    @munchcrunchandsuch,
    Thank you !

    @PAri,
    Infact I’ve tried deep fried version it makes paneer crispy, while this one a bit soft.

    @Padhu,
    @Radha,
    @s,
    Thanks dear.

    @Rohini,
    Did the Paneer get what they begged for ? ;) Do tell me if they did :D

    @Raks Kitchen,
    Do try, its quite yummy !

    @chaklere,
    Same here , The foodie doesn’t prefer Chinese as compared to normal Dal – Roti. But if I cook, kitchen follows my order :D

    @Malar,
    Thanks , this conversation did take place couple of weeks back 

    @Sanjana,
    :D thnku !!

    @Deesha,
    First timer here , thank you .. hope to see you often !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kanchan, I enjoyed both the narrative and the recipes. Thanks for the delicious pickle entry to IAVW.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for Dropping By and taking the time to say Hello here! Your appreciation or criticism makes this small space of mine exemplary so Do Visit Again :)