So I also decided to continue this trend and atleast try new chutney/pickle once a month. So when we had brought ridge gourd, I recollected Mom’s Shirala chya saalichi chutney. Ridge gourd is called Shirala in Marathi cos it has these Shiras (Edges in marathi), normally we don’t use this in our sabzi/vegetable (as we use peeled guord) and as I have this waste phobia I feel top of the world if I use something which was meant to be thrown. ;)
- Skin /Edges of Ridge gourd
- Green Chilies: 2-3 as spicy as you need
- Sesame Seeds (Til): 2-3 tsp
- Ghee: while roasting
- Jaggery and Tamarind Pulp: 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat Ghee in a pan – Roast all ingredients on the pan.
- The skin changes its color from dark green to light one - then put it across in mixer and grind.
- Add the pulp – grind –add water for the required consistency.